Adoption and Foster care


Substance Use and Mental Health


Child Support


Youth Services

Youth Services

Disabilities and Seniors


Frequently Asked Questions

There is no minimum age that a child can be unsupervised. Child and Family Services uses the following definition to evaluate each situation:

NON-SUPERVISION. The child is subjected to accidental harm or an unreasonable risk of accidental harm due to failure to supervise the child's activities at a level consistent with the child's age and maturity.

Consult the Utah Code Annotated for applicable child labor laws at Section 34-23-205 states that a when child is age 12, they may babysit. Other sections address different ages and what is allowable.

There is a service called 211. It is extremely helpful and available to everyone. You can call 211 and tell them what you are looking for and they will provide numbers and addresses to services in your local area. You may also visit the 211 website at .

Go to the Utah Department of Corrections Sex Offender and Kidnap Registry website at and follow the instructions.

Utah Department of Workforce Services manages assistance programs. For more information, visit Additional assistance programs may also be found by calling 2-1-1.

Any questions dealing with custody are a legal matter, so you need to contact a lawyer. You can visit the Utah State Bar website at for information on finding an attorney and also about free legal clinics offered in Utah.  You can also call Legal Aid at 801-328-8849 or Legal Services at 801-328-8891.

Due to the confidential nature of child abuse and/or neglect referrals, we are unable to accept them through our website. PLEASE call the Child Abuse Intake Hotline at 1-855-323-3237 to speak with an Intake worker about your concerns. Through the Intake process, you will have the option to remain anonymous, but be able to share vital information about the family and children you are concerned about.

Please visit DCFS Forms for instructions on completing the "Informed Consent and Liability Form."

There are no laws in Utah that govern how many children may share a room, or the ages of the children. Check with the local housing authority to see if there are any regulations that apply to this situation.

All hiring for the state of Utah is done through the Department of Human Resource Management. There is a listing of all openings, plus instructions on how to apply located on their website at .

Call our Finance Department at 801-538-4120.

There is a Mutual-Consent Voluntary Adoption Registry set up to help adult adoptees and birth families find each other if both parties so desire.  To get more information or to register with the Mutual-Consent Voluntary Adoption Registry, call 801-538-6363 or write them at Bureau of Vital Records, 288 North 1460 West, P.O. Box 141012, Salt Lake City, Utah 84114-1012.  They will send you a form to fill out to register. 

The court that handled your divorce establishes visitation rights. Visitation should be addressed in your divorce decree. Consult with the attorney who worked on your divorce. For more information on visitation rights in the Utah law, see

Information - to include posting, distribution and responses - about Utah's current bids/solicitations/requests for proposals is available online.
Information specific to contracts with Utah Department of Human Services is also available online.
For more information, call our Office of Fiscal Operations, 801-538-4107.

All requests for records must be submitted in accordance with the Government Records Access and Management Act (GRAMA). This refers to the state statutes governing the privacy of records and conditions upon which they can be released. For additional information, please visit


If you want to adopt a child who has been in foster care, you will need to become a licensed foster parent and should start by contacting the Utah Foster Care Foundation at 801-994-5205 or visit their website at

If you do not want to become a foster parent, children in Utah who are waiting for adoptive families can be seen on a website at or you can call the Adoption Exchange at 801-265-0444.

Contact the Utah Foster Care Foundation at 877-505-5437, or visit their web site at

Contact the Department of Health at 888-222-2542, or visit their web site at

Utah Department of Workforce Services manages the Home Energy Assistance Target (HEAT) Program. For more information, visit Additional utility assistance programs may also be found by calling 2-1-1.

Contact the Office of Recovery Services at 801-536-8500, or visit their web site at

Frequently Asked Questions

Go To Alcoholics Anonymous for general information on AA, or the Utah Chapter to see meeting times and locations.

You can also call 801-262-9587 in Salt Lake County or 1-866-262-9587 (toll free) in other areas.

Go here for general information on NA, or here to see meeting times and locations.

You can also call 801-296-4044 in Salt Lake County 801-479-0067 in the Ogden area.

Visit our substance abuse or mental health treatment pages.

Find a public substance use treatment provider in your area here

Find a public mental health provider in your area here

Find a public and/or private substance use disorder treatment provider in your area here

Find a public and/or private mental health treatment provider in your area here

Go here to learn more about DUI education or find a certified education provider.

Information - to include posting, distribution and responses - about Utah's current bids/solicitations/requests for proposals is available online.
Information specific to contracts with Utah Department of Human Services is also available online.
For more information, call our Office of Fiscal Operations, 801-538-4107.

The Mental web site has information about the most common mental health diagnoses.

Utah Division of Substance Abuse approves various organizations to provide training.


 Approved Alcohol Server Training Providers

The following provide drug testing services:

State Health Laboratory 801-584-8400

Logan Regional Hospital 435-752-0948

Project Reality 801-364-8080)

Allied Chemical Lab 801-288-4324

Metro Toxicology Collection Services 801-231-2559 or 801-485-4761

Quest Diagnostics 801-268-4670)

Frequently Asked Questions

Residents of Utah may be eligible for state-funded services if they have the following qualifying disabilities:

Developmental Disabilities/Intellectual Disabilities Services (DD/ID (children and adults with onset prior to age 22)

  • intellectual disabilities and related conditions such as cerebral palsy, autism, or severe epilepsy.

Acquired Brain Injury Services (ABI) (must be over age 18)

  • acquired brain injury.

Physical Disabilities Services (PD) (must be over age 18)

  • adults with the functional limitation of 2 limbs.

The Division determines how critical the need is by using a standardized evaluation called the Needs Assessment. Members of local committees assess an individual based on a variety of factors including:

  • severity of disability and problem behaviors exhibited;
  • family's strengths and weaknesses;
  • special medical needs;
  • health and safety issues;
  • availability of other resources;
  • projected deterioration of disability without services;
  • length of time without services.

The Needs Assessment can be redone if a person's situation changes or there is a suspected change in one or more of the above factors. Contact your intake worker to request another assessment.

Contact Disability Determination Services directly at 801-321-6500 for more information. You may also apply online on the Social Security Administration website.

Contact the Utah Medicaid office directly at 1-800-662-9651. You may also visit their website.

All intake and eligibility has been centralized, please call 1-877-568-0084.

Assistance programs may be found by calling 2-1-1.

Renewal is completed through Division of Motor Vehicles in your area. You should request a copy of form TC-842 titled "Disabled Person and Physical Disabilities Certification." Have your doctor sign the form and return it to Motor Vehicles.

Intake workers shall inform applicants of their responsibility to provide the following documentation:

1. Documentation of the brain injury.

2. Applicants must available for an assessment interview.

3. Applicants must provide information for the Brain Injury Social Summary.

4. Possible additional documentation such as a medical health summary.

Intake workers shall inform applicants of their responsiblity to provide the following documentation:

1. Psychological evaluation or, for children under six years of age, a developmental assessment.

2. Applicants must be available for an interview to provide the intake worker with the information requested on the Social History.

3. Possible additional documentation such as school evaluations, medical health summaries, etc.

Information - to include posting, distribution and responses - about Utah's current bids/solicitations/requests for proposals is available online.
Information specific to contracts with Utah Department of Human Services is also available online.
For more information, call our Office of Fiscal Operations, 801-538-4107.

Individuals with multiple disabilities. Most have intellectual disabilities or developmental disabilities. Eligible clients have a severe, chronic disability and substantial functioning limitation in seven major life-functioning areas.

Individuals over 18 who may have a brain injury and a physical disability may be served.

Services are provided to those with the most critical needs first when funding is available. DSPD receives funding through appropriations from the legislature. More often than not, the Division is not able to offer immediate services to eligible individuals so they are placed on the waiting list.

Frequently Asked Questions

JJS placements are licensed by the state. A youth has the right to a safe, humane, and caring environment. He/she has the right not to be verbally, physically, or psychologically abused. All youth have the right to receive three meals a day. JJS strives to provide a safe environment for youth. If you or your child has a complaint about his/her care, contact your Case Manager immediately.

A minor can file a petition to legally emancipate from their parents starting at age 16. Documents are available online, If not legally emancipated, and the youth has moved out of the home, the parents/guardians can report the minor as a runaway.

If need information about your child in state custody, please call or email the case manager. If your child has been arrested by law enforcement, he/she may have been taken to the nearest detention or receiving/youth services center. View facility locations here

Parents' rights do not change when custody is temporarily given to JJS. Parents have the right to have contact with their child by phone, letter, or visitation as allowed by facility or program rules. Parents have the right to know their child is getting the care he/she needs. Parents have the right and should call their child's Case Manager if there are questions or concerns.

Legal custody means, "the right to physical custody; the right and duty to protect, train, and discipline; the duty to provide food, clothing, shelter, education and ordinary medical care; the right to determine where and with whom the minor shall live; the right, in an emergency, to authorize surgery or other extraordinary care."

You and your child need to take an active part in the treatment process.

Court hearings are often set at a previous court hearing or when criminal charges are to be heard. Review hearings are usually held every six months. Dates are preset to ensure youth do not get lost in the system and to keep the judge updated on the youth's progress. The date of the court hearing is written on the court order. The Case Manager can give you the date and time of your next hearing.

Information - to include posting, distribution and responses - about Utah's current bids/solicitations/requests for proposals is available online.
Information specific to contracts with Utah Department of Human Services is also available online.
For more information, call our Office of Fiscal Operations, 801-538-4107.

The United Way and most religious organizations have compiled lists of community resources available to the public and will provide a list of services for their area.

The State offers Utah Cares?a website that lists resources throughout the state. Utah Cares can be accessed at:

In addition, local mental health offices have a variety of programs available for children and adults. Payment is on a sliding scale. If the recipient is on Medicaid, then Medicaid will pay 100% of the bill. The legal guardian must accompany minors.

Information regarding mental health offices is available at:

Youth are placed based on their needs and the Court?s Order. Once given custody, the Division of Juvenile Justice Service makes that decision after reviewing the youth?s needs and the options available. Proximity to your home is considered, as well as appropriateness of the placement.

Your contact person is the Case Manager. Parents are encouraged to maintain close contact with their Case Manager.

At the time your child is placed with Juvenile Justice Services (JJS), temporary custody is given to JJS by the order of the Juvenile Judge. Parents remain the child?s guardian.

After hearing evidence, the Juvenile Court Judge decides whether a child should be taken out of the home. There are a variety of reasons a youth is removed from the home, including delinquent behavior, safety of youth or family, and threat to society.

Juvenile Justice Services holds a youth accountable for his/her criminal behavior in a manner consistent with long-term individual needs. When they show progress, they are given more responsibility. Many times maturity brings a different outlook and more willingness to assume responsibility.

Juvenile Justice Services and the juvenile justice system must hold youth accountable for their criminal behavior. Most youth stop acting out after being arrested and paying a fine or attending a class. Youth who continue to get into trouble face much harsher penalties. They may be placed on probation, removed from their home, or placed in detention. When youth continue to break the law, the Court places them in more expensive secure places where they have little freedom. Federal law mandates many of the services provided for youth committed to the custody of Juvenile Justice Services.

Juvenile Justice Services works to balance the needs of the youth and the safety of the community. Sometimes the best thing is not to lock them up. Juvenile Justice Services offers a continuum of services--some programs offer a lot of freedom and others offer very little. Youth are placed where their needs and the safety of the community are both served. Only youth that are serious and/or habitual delinquents can be locked up.

We do everything we can to help, but it is difficult to change behavior. It took the youth many years to develop behavior patterns and it may take many more years to change them. Change depends on how much motivation a youth and his parents have.

Adult Protective Services Frequently Asked Questions

It is not necessary to confirm abuse, neglect, emotional or psychological abuse, or exploitation in order to report it. The reporting requirement states, "...any person...who has reason to believe..." It is the responsibility of Adult Protective Services to confirm allegations.

"Anyone who in good faith makes a report or otherwise notifies a law enforcement agency, the division, or Adult Protective Services of suspected abuse, neglect or exploitation is immune from civil and criminal liability in connection with the report or other notification." UCA 62A-3-305 (3).

Protective services means services provided by the offices of Adult Protective Services within the Division of Aging and Adult Services. The primary service provided is the investigation of alleged abuse, neglect or exploitation of vulnerable or elder adults. Other services may be provided either by voluntary agreement or as authorized by court order. Those services are designed to prevent or discontinue further abuse, neglect or exploitation of the vulnerable or elder adult until that condition no longer requires intervention. UCA 62A-3-301.

The law provides specific definitions of these terms insofar as adults as concerned. These definitions can be found in UCA 62A-3-301.

When Adult Protective Services receives an allegation of abuse, neglect or exploitation, a determination is made as to whether the information received constitutes a referral and if that referral constitutes an emergency. If it is an emergency, Adult Protective Services is required to initiate the investigation within one working day. If it is not an emergency, the investigation is initiated within three working days. This determination is made at intake, prior to case assignment. The case is then assigned to an investigator.

It is the responsibility of the investigator to initiate the investigation. The investigator gathers information regarding the allegations. The worker then makes a determination based on all information if there is a need for protection. If the answer is "no", the case is closed. If the answer is "yes", the client is assisted in obtaining services or benefits as appropriate. Protective services may be provided for " ...a vulnerable or elder adult who has the capacity to consent and who requests or knowingly and voluntarily consents to receive those services" UCA 62A-3-315. Those services can also be provided if ordered by the court. The referrer will be notified when the investigation is complete.

Adults have the right to make personal choices and decisions. This self-determination gives them the right to make decisions that might not appear to be in their best interests. If services are provided by Adult Protective Services, the adult must knowingly and voluntarily accept them without any coercion. If the adult subsequently withdraws consent for those services, they will be discontinued. Involuntary protective services may only be provided with a court order.

Any person who willfully fails to report suspected abuse, neglect, or exploitation of a vulnerable adult is guilty of a class B misdemeanor. UCA 62A-3-305 (4) .

Adult Protective Services are authorized under both federal and state law. Federal law PL97-35- 42 USC 1297 Sec. 2001(3) - Block Grant to States for Social Services - Title XX of Social Security Act states "... the service plan shall provide services ... preventing or remedying neglect, abuse, or exploitation of children and adults unable to protect their own interest...". UCA 62A-3-301.

After an allegation of abuse, neglect or exploitation of a vulnerable or elder adult is validated by the investigator and the adult accepts services, the least restrictive and least intrusive services are offered. Whenever the division provides adult protective services, a written agreement shall be executed by the division and the recipient, setting forth the purposes and limitations of the services to be provided. UCA 62A-3-315 (2).

Adult Protective Services will assist the adult in receiving services from other individuals and agencies. If these services are not available, Adult Protective Services may provide the following short-term services[ funded by the Legislature and based on availability....]:

  • Protective Supervision
  • Adult Day Care
  • Protective Financial Arrangements
  • Adult Foster Care

Salt Lake County: 801-538-3567
Statewide: 1-800-371-7897

Any vulnerable adult, 18 years or older, or an elder adult, 65 years of age or older, who is alleged to be abused, neglected, or exploited, without regard to their income or assets is eligible for investigative services. Any vulnerable or elder adult is eligible for services minimizing, or alleviating issues of abuse, neglect, and exploitation only after the need for protection has been established. Services can be provided and accepted either voluntarily or by court order.

Adult Protective Services shall investigate or cause to be investigated reports of alleged abuse, neglect, or exploitation of vulnerable adults occurring in all settings and, where appropriate, shall provide short-term, limited protective services with the permission of the affected vulnerable adult or the guardian of the vulnerable adult. The division may promulgate rules and develop procedures and policies to be used in reporting incidents of abuse, neglect, or exploitation, and in investigating and providing protective services to the extent that funds are appropriated by the Legislature. UCA 62A-3-302.

The State of Utah has a mandatory reporting law. This law states:
"Any person who has reason to believe that any vulnerable adult has been the subject of abuse, neglect, or exploitation shall immediately notify Adult Protective Services intake or the nearest law enforcement agency. When the initial report is made to law enforcement, law enforcement shall immediately notify Adult Protective Services intake. Adult Protective Services and law enforcement shall coordinate, as appropriate, their efforts to provide protection to the vulnerable adult." UCA 62A-3-305 (1) and 76-5-111 (1) .

Legal Services Frequently Asked Questions

Private Attorneys provide legal services for all types of legal issues at a cost to the client. If you do not have a lawyer, get recommendations for good ones from trusted friends and relatives. Interview the lawyer and don't be afraid to ask him or her how much he or she charges and what he or she will do for you. Choose the lawyer you like best and feel most comfortable with.

If you don't know how to find a lawyer but believe you have the money to pay for one, contact the Lawyer Referral Service of the Utah State Bar.

Lawyer Referral Service of the Utah State Bar
645 South 200 East
Salt Lake City, Utah 84111
Phone: 801-531-9075 or 1-800-698-9077

This service provides names of private lawyers who handle cases for a fee. The initial 1/2-hour consultation with a lawyer found through this service is set at $30.

The Disability Law Center (DLC) is a private non-profit organization designated by the governor as the state's protection and advocacy agency. DLC provides advocacy and legal assistance free of charge to eligible clients. DLC handles cases concerning the abuse and neglect of people with disabilities, physical and programmatic accessibility, fair housing, special education, non-institutional living options for people with disabilities, and other issues relating to the rights of people with disabilities. DLC's central office is in Salt Lake City, and has satellite offices in Cedar City, Logan, Orem, and Ogden.

Disability Law Center
205 North 400 West
Salt Lake City, Utah 84102
Phone: 801-363-1347
Voice/TDD: 1-800-662-9080
FAX: 801-363-1437
TTY: 801-924-3185

The Legal Aid Society of Salt Lake provides free legal services to income-eligible clients with domestic relations and guardianship cases. It also provides free representation to any victim of domestic violence, regardless of income. Domestic violence includes elder abuse cases. Domestic relations and domestic violence cases are limited to Salt Lake County, but guardianship cases may be statewide.

Legal Aid Society of Salt Lake
225 South 200 East, #200
Salt Lake City, Utah 84111
Phone: 801-328-8849
Fax: 801-359-7359

The Multi-Cultural Legal Center strives to assure that legal advocacy is accessible to racial and ethnic communities.

Multi-Cultural Legal Center
309 East 100 South, #3
Salt Lake City, Utah 84111
Phone: 801-486-1183

The Senior Lawyer Volunteer Project provides free legal services statewide to income-eligible clients with wills, trusts, property transfers, powers of attorney, and advance directives, including living wills and health care powers of attorney. Volunteer lawyers may be available to make house calls.

Senior Lawyer Volunteer Project
Utah Legal Services, Inc.
254 West 400 South, Third Floor
Salt Lake City, Utah 84103
Phone: 801-328-8891 or 1-800-662-4245

Utah Dispute Resolution is a non-profit community mediation service in Salt Lake City. Mediation services are carried out by a small paid staff and a large group of trained volunteer mediators. It provides access to quality justice regardless of ability to pay.

Utah Dispute Resolution
The Law and Justice Center
645 South 200 East
Salt Lake City, Utah 84111
Phone: 801-532-4841
Fax 801-531-0660

Needs of the Elderly Committee/Utah State Bar Senior Legal Clinic Program in Salt Lake County
Volunteer lawyers meet with senior citizens at no cost at senior citizen centers and some senior subsidized housing units throughout Salt Lake County. Volunteers meet one-on-one with clients for 20-minute consultations over a two-hour period. The goal is not to provide in-depth legal representation, but to determine whether the individual has a legal problem and then to identify potential legal services to address the problem. For more information, contact your local senior citizen center or the Pro Bono Coordinator at the Utah State Bar, 801-257-5516.

Senior Legal Clinic Program in Washington County
Volunteer lawyers meet with senior citizens at no cost for one-on-one consultations at the St. George Senior Center on a regular monthly basis. For more information, contact the center at 435-634-5716.

Other Free Legal Clinics Throughout Utah
These clinics are open to anyone, regardless of age, and are free of charge. Many clinics require appointments while others accept walk-in clients. Volunteer lawyers are available to meet clients on an individual basis. It is always best to call the contact number before traveling to the clinic. The times, days, and locations of these clinics are subject to change. The listing is by geographic location in alphabetical order. For general information call Utah Legal Services at 801-328-8891, or toll-free within Utah at 1-800-662-4245.

Brigham City - Legal Info Night
Held the 2nd and 4th Tuesday of every month at the YWCA in Brigham City, from 6:30 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. located at 435 East 700 South. The clinic is run on a first-come, first-served basis, no time limits, and no need to call ahead for appointments.

Brigham City - Pro Se Legal Clinic
Utah Legal Services and volunteers help people handle legal actions on their own. Held on the last Thursday of each month from 1 to 4:00 p.m. in the 2nd Floor Library of the First District Courthouse, 43 North Main in Brigham City. First-come, first-served basis.

Cedar City - Thursday Night Legal Clinic
Held the first Thursday of every month in the Cedar City Library from 6 to 7:00 p.m. Located at 136 West Center Street. First-come, first-served basis. Contact Utah Legal Services in Cedar City for more information at 435-586-2571 or 1-800-662-1772, ext. 12.

Layton - Christian Legal Society
Volunteers meet individuals for free consultations on the lst and 3rd Monday of each month beginning at 6:00 p.m. in the Mt. View Baptist Church in Layton at Highway 193 and 2585 East 3000 North. For an appointment call 801-771-3204. No religious affiliation is necessary.

Logan - Pro Se Legal Clinic
Utah Legal Services and volunteers help people handle legal actions on their own. Held the 2nd and 4th Thursday of the month from 8:30 to 11:30 a.m. in the Council Chambers of the Cache County Hall of Justice, 120 North 100 West in Logan. First-come first-served basis. Call the First District Court Clerk at 435-750-1300 prior to attend the clinic to check for any scheduling changes.

Moab - Seek Haven Legal Clinic
Held in Moab at 81 North 300 East, every third Wednesday, from 10:00 a.m. to noon. First-come-first served basis. Call 435-259-2229 for more information.

Ogden - Weber County Bar Night
Held the 2nd and 4th Thursday of every month, starting at 5:00 p.m. at the YCC, 2261 Adams Street in Ogden. Appointments must be made the week prior to the clinic. Contact 801-394-9456.

Park City - Tuesday Night Bar
Held first Tuesday of every month at the Park City Miners' Hospital from 6 to 8:00 p.m. located at 1354 Park Avenue in Park City. No appointments necessary

Provo-Lesue' Weekly Spanish Legal Workshop
This clinic runs every Thursday starting at 6:00 p.m. at the Maeser Elementary School, 500 East 150 South in Provo. The workshop is for persons who speak Spanish and vocers domestic law and landlord/tenant law.

Provo - Tuesday Night Bar
Call BYU at 801-422-7759 and talk with the Comprehnsive Clkinic for a 30-minute appointment at the BYU Taylor Building. The clinic is held on Tuesdays from 5:30 to 7:00 p.m.

Roosevelt - Free Legal Clinic
Utah Legal Services and volunteers meet with individuals for one-on-one free consultations on the 2nd Wednesday of every month from 1:00 to 3:00 P.M. at the Roosevelt Senior Community Center, 50 East 200 South. Walk-ins are welcome. Contact Amy Higginbottom at 801-328-8891, ext. 3375, or 1-800-662-4245, ext. 3375, for more information.

St. George - Talk to a Lawyer
Conducted by the law firm of Snell and Jensen. Volunteer Lawyers provide free 15-minute consultations every 3rd Thursday from 6:00 to 8:00 p.m. Located at the Washington County Library at 50 South Main Street in St. George. Appointments are necessary - call 435-628-3688.

Salt Lake City - Community Law Center Pro Se Clinic
Utah Legal Services and volunteers help people handle legal actions on their own. Held every Wednesday from 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. at the Community Law Center at 205 North 400 West in Salt Lake City., First-come, first-served basis. Call 801-328-8891 for more information.

Salt Lake County - Pro Se Clinic at the Scott Matheson Courthouse
Held every Tuesday and Thursday evening from 5:00 to 11:00 p.m., but you must arrive before 8:00 p.m. The Courthouse is located at 450 South State Street in Salt Lake City. Waine Riches, a volunteer lawyer, conducts a discussion on divorce and then he and other volunteers provide free help to persons trying to handle legal actions on the own. Pro se packets include guardianship. No appointments are necessary, but call ahead to confirm dates at 801-328-7804.

Salt Lake County - Tuesday Night Bar
645 South 200 East
Salt Lake City, Utah 84111
Phone: 801-531-9077
Volunteer with the Young Lawyers Division meet one-on-one with individuals for 30 minutes at no cost. The purpose of this program is to assist the public in determining their legal rights. All individuals are eligible regardless of income or legal issue. Tuesday Night Bar is held four Tuesdays each month between 5 and 6:30 p.m. at the Utah Law and Justice Center in Salt Lake City. Appointments must be made through the Bar by calling 531-9077.

Salt Lake County - Street Law Project
Utah Legal Services and volunteers meet one-on=one with individuals for free legal consultations in a variety of settings. The clinics listed below are subject to change. All Street Law Project sites function on a first-come, first served basis. No Appointments are necessary and the clinics are open to anyone. Contact 801-328-8891 for more information.

Deaf Legal Clinic
Held the 3rd Wednesday of every month from 6 to 9 p.m. at 5709 South 1500 West in Taylorsville.

Fourth Street Viaduct
Held every Sunday from 8:30 to 10:30 a.m. at 500 South between 600 and 700 West.

Guadalupe School
Held every Tuesday from 5 to 7 p.m. at 340 South Goshen Avenue (1040 West). Spanish speakers are always available.

Indian Walk-In Center
Held the 2nd Tuesday of every month from 2 to 4 p.m. at 120 West 1300 South.

Polynesian/Pacific Islander Legal Clinic
Held the 2nd Wednesday of every month from 6 to 8 p.m. at 855 West California Avenue.

Saint Vincent de Paul Center
Held every Thursday from 12 to 3 p.m. at 427 West 200 South.

Held the 1st Wednesday of every month from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. at the YWCA in Salt Lake City. This clinic is open only to YWCA residents.

Tooele Pro Se Legal Clinic
Utah Legal Services and volunteers help people handle legal actions on their own. Held every Monday from 10 a.m. to 12 noon at the Tooele Courthouse, 47 South Main Street, in room 318. Call 435-843-3210 to make an appointment.

Vernal Pro Se Legal Clinic
Utah Legal Services and volunteers help people handle legal actions on their own. Held the 2nd Tuesday of every month at the Vernal Courthouse, 147 East Main, from 1 to 3 p.m.

There are many useful Internet sites. Here are a few government and non-profit organization sites that may provide useful information to seniors:

A consumer-oriented site that provides a wide variety of information on issues, including legal ones, that affect seniors.

Administration on Aging
The best place to start for information on any issues related to aging. This site also includes information on how to contact the ElderCare Locator for help nationwide in locating local community assistance for seniors.

Bazelon Center's Palliative Care Project
A comprehensive review of medical, legal, and ethical issues that arise in pain and palliative care.

End of Life Care Partnership
A consumer-oriented site that provides excellent information on all aspects of dying in Utah. This site also includes Utah's statutory forms for living wills and special powers of attorney for health care decisions.

Kansas Elder Law Network
Despite its name, this is an excellent site for information on a variety of elder law issues, including many publications and links to further resources.

National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys
Useful information on NAELA and its publications and resources. Also includes an excellent list of links to other websites on aging and the law. Provides a list of elder law attorneys in each state.

National Consumer Law Center
An excellent source of information on low-income consumer issues, including senior issues.

National Senior Citizens Law Center
Useful site from this national support group providing advocacy tips and many links.

Partnerships for Caring
A consumer-oriented site that provides excellent information on all aspects of dying in Utah. This site also includes Utah's statutory forms for living wills and special powers of attorney for health care decisions.

Salt Lake County Aging Services
A very informative site for aging services in Salt Lake County.

Social Security Administration
This is a comprehensive government site for everything you ever wanted to know about social security. All social security forms are available online here,. There is useful information here for someone looking into becoming a representative payee.

Utah Courts
This site provides general information about courts in Utah, opinions and other publications, and online forms for some legal matters including divorce and small claims court.

Utah Legal Services
Non-profit civil legal services provider throughout Utah. This agency contracts with eleven of Utah's twelve Area Agencies on Aging to provide free legal help to persons 60 years of age and older.

Utah Legislature
Here's where to find out what the legislature is up to and what proposed laws look like.

Utah State Bar
Provides information on the Needs of the Elderly Committee, the Estate Planning Section, pro bono programs, and a listing of all licensed attorneys in the state.

Utah State Department of Commerce
This department responds to consumer complaints, investigates deceptive business practices, and provides information on consumer protection, corporations, and occupational and professional licensing.

Utah State Department of Human Services
The state agency that provides social services for people with disabilities, children, seniors, and others. Useful links to other state government information.

Utah State Division of Aging and Adult Services
The state agency for aging services provides a full listing of Area Agencies on Aging throughout Utah and their services, Adult Protective Services, and the Health Insurance Information Program (HIIP), which is an excellent resource for Utah specific information on Medicare, Medicaid, and long-term care insurance.

Utah State Insurance Department
A wealth of information on all types of insurance and consumer protection issues.

Utah State Library Division
An excellent source for Utah libraries, laws, and legal information. To locate specific Utah laws, you may find the Utah Code Annotated or Unannotated in your local libraries or the University of Utah College of Law Quinney Law Library. You can also find the Utah Code and other Utah regulations at The Quinney Law Library at

  • Community education on legal and related issues
  • Counseling and other assistance to individuals
  • Dispute resolution and mediation
  • Information and referral
  • Legal advice and representation by qualified lawyers

Legal assistance provided through Older Americans Act programs typically addresses the following types of cases:

  • Age discrimination
  • Consumer fraud
  • Domestic relations-divorce and domestic violence
  • Estate planning-simple wills, some forms of trusts, simple estate administration
  • Grandparents' rights
  • Guardianship and other surrogate decision making-powers of attorney, representative payees
  • Health care-Medicare, Medicaid, other insurance
  • Home ownership, housing, and landlord/tenant issues
  • Income protection-Social Security, SSI, Veterans Benefits, food stamps, and other government benefits
  • Long Term Care-nursing homes, assisted living, and resident rights
  • Protective Services-abuse, neglect, and financial exploitation

Contact your local Area Agency on Aging for information on the legal services providers in your area. If you need help outside of Utah, call Eldercare Locator at 1-800-677-1116, or locate its website at at or locate your closest Area Agency on Aging on the website for the United States Administration on Aging at

Free legal services for certain civil matters are available to persons 60 years of age and older through Utah Legal Services in every county in Utah except Davis County. If ULS is unable to handle a case, it provides useful referrals. Statewide intake is available in English and Spanish.

Utah Legal Services, Inc.
205 North 400 South, Third Floor
Salt Lake City, Utah 84103
Phone and Fax: 801-328-8891
In-state toll free: 800-662-4245

455 North University Avenue, Suite 100
Provo, Utah 84601
Phone and Fax: 801-374-6766
In-state toll free: 800-662-1563

550 24th Street, #300
Ogden, UT 84401
Phone and Fax: 801-394-9431
In-state toll free: 800-662-2538

Cedar City
965 South Main #3
Cedar City, UT 84720
Fax: 435-586-1013
In-state toll free: 800-662-1772

The Utah Division of Aging and Adult Services, and the state's twelve Area Agencies on Aging do not directly provide legal services. These agencies contract with Utah Legal Services, Inc., and some private attorneys, to provide free legal assistance to persons 60 years of age and older for certain civil legal matters.

Other legal resources in Utah include several non-profit legal agencies and volunteer lawyers and programs that provide free legal services, and private attorneys who handle individual cases for a fee. The Utah State Bar provides information on volunteer lawyers and programs and provides consumers with a lawyer referral service for private-pay attorneys.

HIIP Frequently Asked Questions

The Original Medicare Plan does not cover outpatient prescription drugs except in a few cases, like certain cancer drugs. However, many Medicare managed care plans cover outpatient prescription drugs, up to certain limits. Some Medigap policies also cover certain out patient prescription drugs.

No. If you are covered by your spouse's employer plan and your spouse continues to work, (not retire or go on C-O-B-R-A), there is no reason for you to sign up for Medicare Part B. The trick is that the spouse has to continue to WORK and include you on the employer health plan.

There are no Medicare Risk Based HMO's in Utah. Your choices will be limited to a Medigap plan, Medicare Select, or a Private Fee for Service plan. There are some time limits that may impact your ability to obtain a guaranteed issue plan. Please contact us at our toll free number 1-800-541-7735 for further guidance.

If you did not take Part B when you were first eligible for Medicare, you may still be able to sign up during a General Enrollment Period.

This happens from January 1 through March 31 of each year. You can sign up for Part A or Part B at your local Social Security office. Your Part B coverage will start on July 1 of that year. Remember, the cost of Part B may go up 10 0.000000or each 12-month period that you could have had Part B but did not take it, except in special cases. For more information, call your local Social Security office or Social Security at 1-800-772-1213.

Information - to include posting, distribution and responses - about Utah's current bids/solicitations/requests for proposals is available online.
Information specific to contracts with Utah Department of Human Services is also available online.
For more information, call our Office of Fiscal Operations, 801-538-4107.

Share this page